As a classic American beverage, Coke has witnessed the most cherishable moments of millions of families. To encourage using these sweet memories to inspire your culinary creativity, SocialMoms and Coca-Cola have teamed up on a new blogging program that invites you and your readers to share a classic family recipe or fond family memory inspired by memories of Coca-Cola and mealtime. The first qualifying participants will each receive a $25 Target gift card!
I love the unique taste of coke, but I have never tried using coke as a cooking ingredient until five years ago, when a friend from Hong Kong showed me how to make Coca-Cola Chicken Wings. It's very simple to prepare and tastes delicious. It has become one of our family's favorite recipes, especially popular among kids because of its sweet taste. It offers an all-new culinary adventure for both chicken and coke lovers.
|Picture source: http://meishi.enjoyoung.cn/|
- 1 lb chicken wings
- 1 can of Original Coca-Cola
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1tbsp rice wine
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- grated green onion to taste
- grated ginger to taste
- Marinate fresh, cleaned chicken wings with 1/2 can of Coca-Cola, rice wine and grated ginger for at least half an hour. This step is to tenderize the meat and let coke flavor penetrate. (Tip: you may soak the chicken wings in cold water for 30-45 minutes beforehand to get rid of blood that remains in the meat)
- Heat olive oil in pan. Sauté green onion until it starts to turn darker. Add in drained chicken wings and stir fry with medium heat until brownish
- Pour in soy sauce the other 1/2 can of Coca-Cola and bring to a boil. Let the ingredients simmer with cover for 15-20 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Stir frequently to prevent the contents from getting burnt. Add a small amount of water if you prefer juicier meat.
- Best served with mixed veggie and brown rice.
- You may substitute chicken wings with drumsticks. Add 5 minutes cooking time for drumsticks.
Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Coca-Cola® blogging program. If I am one of the first 100 blogs received by SocialsMoms, I will receive a $25 gift card. For more information on the program, click here.